Friday, October 5, 2007

Catching On

Koh Phangan!

We just floated over from Koh Samui, which was awesome by the way. The trip over here wasn't all that bad, maybe a 30 minutes ferry ride. Nice comfy leather seats and a movie, kinda overkill, but some people were going to be on a very long ride all the way back to Bangkok.

This segment of our trip we're really living like royalty. Everyone is bound to make newbie travel mistakes their first time out, and not to say we really made a mistake, but we're living much more lavishly than I had imagined or desired - and we're paying for it. Things will change. Money goes a long way out here living this lifestyle but not nearly as far as it could given a few logistical alterations.

Overall, I'm getting much more comfortable out here than I originally was while in Bangkok. Though, it's not hard when you're staying in some of the luxurious beach bungalows we've been in. It's really paradise.

Last night in Koh Samui was great. Rachael and Dakota were feeling kinda sick (buckets, of course), so I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while who just happened to be out here. Michael Jessup is going to live in Koh Samui for a couple months while he gets his scuba instructor certification, and he just got out there. I was walking back from an internet cafe to meet Mike at my place when I saw him ride by me in the pouring rain. I run over and hop on his vespa and we're off back to my bungalow to wait the monsoonal rain out. Drenched, we dry off and hang out on the porch for a bit and head back out after the rain settles down. On the way down the driveway from our resort, we stop and watch some Muay Thai boxing training. Damn, those 8 year-olds can kick some ass. There were also a lot of white guys (and a girl) about my age that were training. It's become a big thing in around the world I guess, the whole UFC thing. We ride around to get some local, spicy as hell Thai food, curry for 40 baht and ride to the local 7-Eleven (which are everywhere out here) and pick up a ~32oz bottle of Thai beer for 27 baht, like 80 cents, and head to the beach, chill, and watch the sunset. After a couple more hours of hanging on the beach, watching fireworks and bamboo tattoos, we head to the crazier part of the island called Chewang and get some street food, mingle with the locals, and party there for a while. It's getting late, so we hop on the vespa and head back toward Lamai where my place is. Long story short, we passed the turn off by a long shot and I got a good 30 minute tour around the entire island ;). Good night.

Miss you guys, I'll post pics later.

Go Broncos. Go Buffs. Go Rockies.

-Chris

Bright Eyes - Middleman

1 comment:

Adge said...

Where's the love for the Avalanche?